Cajsa Minnesota

Abortion in the United States

Abortion is inhumane, unsafe, and goes against any rational persons morals.

Mr./Mrs.Future President

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Washington D.C 20500

Dear Mr./Mrs.Future President:

My name is Cajsa and I am a highschool student in the state of Minnesota. The topic I would like to bring to your attention is Abortion. In my state, Abortion is legal and practiced by doctors ethically. Although their practice is legal and ethical, that does not make it morally correct. My position I take on abortion is inhumane and should be considered a form of homicide, be illegal in all fifty states, a federal offense.

One major topic of controversy that plays a major role in a abortion is what defines “life”? I am fully aware that most people believe that the fetus simply isn’t “alive” while it is in the mother womb, but that is just simply not true. Scientifically, a human life “begins at the moment of conception.” (Abortion Facts 2) Human biology shows us that the moment the egg is fertilized there is potential and growth for the fetus to someday live without support for its mother. People who argue that the fertilized fetus is not a human being, that must mean it is a part of another species. But we all know that that is not true. At the end of the first trimester, when “88% of all abortions are performed” (National Abortion Federation 4), the baby is fully physically formed. The baby has arm, feet, toes, fingers, ears are almost done forming, urinary and circulatory systems are fully functional, and most of all, the baby can and will feel pain. The fetus in the end of the first trimester is about 4 inches long and weighs about 1-2 ounces. “The fetus is just tissue and flesh, nothing more” (Carl Sagan, Abortion Facts 2). It’s hard to believe that a baby is just “tissue and flesh” when it can feel pain, move, and cognitively display emotion. Since scientifical evidence shows that fertilization starts the life process, it should be considered homicide.

Another topic that is controversial topic is weather it should be illegal in all fifty states and illegal to practice abortion for voluntarily purposes. This is by far the most heated topic of discussion when abortion comes up in politics because it interferes with women's rights and freedoms. According to Abortion Facts, when women were asked if they thought abortion was a “woman's only choice” 90% of women said yes. That I find to be extremely false, abortion affects both women and men. Granted, the effects left on women and men are totally different, there still is no justification to make abortion a “woman's choice” issue. Most Pro-Choice supporters will say that most abortions are performed to save the mother's life but that is just not true. Only about 1% of abortions are performed to save the mother’s life (Abortion Facts 19).

Lastly, I believe that abortion should be regulated at the federal level, not the state level. I believe that abortion should be regulated that way because abortion is a form of murder and murder is regulated at the federal level. According to an Unbiased Look at Abortion, they state that Abortion should be performed by certified doctors by the federal government to ensure safety for the women choosing to go through with the abortion. Having the federal government regulate abortion would make sure that it is illegal in all states and that the law is enforced to the best of it’s ability.

Abortion has been a topic of controversy for many decades and had been looked at very closely in politics for the past years. Abortion is a inhumane, unsafe, and unethical practice that should be considered more of a crime than justice and relief to the mother.

Sincerely yours,

Cajsa