Amanda W. Tennessee

Women's Rights in America

This letter discusses the changes that need to be made to give women equal rights.

My name is Amanda Williams. I am a freshman in high school. I would like to address the ongoing battle of the inequality of women in society and in the workplace. Women, still to this day, are viewed as inferior to men. Women endure this bias and sexism wherever they travel.

In order to help improve the perspective of women, I ask you to help create a society that acknowledges women work as hard and possibly even harder as men, and create a law that gives equal pay to all. According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, “In 2015, female full-time workers made only 80 cents for every dollar earned by men, a gender wage gap of 20 percent”. With electing you as the 45th President, I implore on you the responsibility to help women be more equal in the workplace in order to better support themselves and their family. I hope you create a law protecting the rights of women attaining equal pay in the workplace.

Women also have their opinion and views dismissed in court so much so that many women will not even attempt to bring a case to court due to the fact that they will most likely go through a lot of pain that will result in their aggressor walking free. For instance, according to RAINN, out of 1,000 rapes 994 perpetrators will walk free.This occurs due to the bias towards women. Many people will believe men over women due to the belief embedded in people’s mind that men are superior. This discourages women from reporting instances of sexual assault. In you I trust, to help create a society that believes women and welcomes them to have their voice be heard and respected. To do this, I hope you elect trustworthy judges and focus on how women should become a more equal part of society.

This issue directly affects my life because I am a woman who is growing up in this society that will dismiss my ideas and make me inferior. When I enter the workplace, I will most likely be paid less than my male coworkers. I have hope for a world that accepts women as independent, smart contributors to society. I have only been alive for fifteen years, but have endured countless instances where I have been personally disrespected because of my gender. There have also been many instances where the stories I have read in the news strike fear in my heart. I have a higher chance of being sexually assaulted. The present situation we are in, if this horror was to occur to me, my perpetrator would walk free and my life would be forever changed. As a young woman in America, my life seems to lack an equal value to men.

I would like to congratulate you on your presidency. I have hope that together we can create a world to be proud of and that sets an example for others. I know that you are going to be a great President and I hope that you can accomplish all the goals you want to achieve in the years you have in the White House.

Amanda Williams

Works Cited:

http://www.iwpr.org/initiatives/pay-equity-and-discrimination

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system

STEM Prep High School

STEM Prep High School: Nashville

The Graduating Class of 2024.