Erika T. New Mexico

United or not?

Red, White, and Blue.

I am a sophomore attending high school in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and I have a few concerns about the future of America. A little background on myself: My dad was in the U.S. Air Force for twenty  years. He just retired two summers ago, and because of this military life, I moved every two years in and out of America. During my time abroad, I discovered how important America is to me; I gained even more love for America.  There is so much more you can do here than in other countries, so when I see that red white and blue flag my whole world goes silent and all my attention goes to the freed that flag represents. Saying that, I have a few concerns about the future of our freedom.  One concern being that I am curious about how you as president will help social media and press to put an end to segregation. Why do we call ourselves united even though we are separated by politics, race, religion, and just plain old stereo types? How will you help stop this segregation and begin to unify not only as a beautiful nation, but as people too?  

Many things in America are segregated and social media often influences this segregation, but I think we are the United States of America. Influences from social media and the news often influence people in good or bad ways, but I think that if we didn't have so much negativity in our news it would minimize segregation, for example hating on cops all the time, or presidential debates. First things first, I think that if we put more positive stories about a police officer helping someone, or child held at gun point today was rescued just to show relief, and to show the world we do have a future, and we won't be destroyed. More positive stories even if its just one story would improve peoples mentality with this nation. Although studies show "people respond quicker to negative words" they also respond just as quick to positive words, and normally a sigh of relief comes afterwards according too as BBC future. We as America need to reunite our nation, welcome people who are legal, and have respect. As a high school student attending a public school I can speak from first hand experience that many of times the announcements come on and the pledge of allegiance  is being sworn most people stand but there is at least three people every time who do not stand, and that's called a loss of respect. Make people believe that America is not just a joke and must be united. 

In conclusion, I cannot wait to see what you will accomplish in office for the next four years. Thank you for taking the future of this well loved nation into your hands. Many people are counting on you, and I believe that you will be able to help our United States of America become more United. Thank you for your time and dedication to our country. And, I pray you do what is right for our country at all times and don't worry--remember you are human, just like me, at the end of the day. 

Erika T.