Lexie Oklahoma

Gun Control and Mass Shootings

The broken gun control system is becoming a bigger issue each day as we try to move forward.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Do you know how many innocent lives are being lost because of the corrupted gun system? How about how many mass shootings that have occurred in the last 5 or 10 years? I am sure you know since you're the President of this nation, but this situation is increasing everyday. Students, children, and adults are dying everyday by these deadly weapons. A new gun control system should be made because too many people are getting ahold of unauthorized guns and/or mentally ill people are obtaininformation them, and it would lower the number of killing and mass shootings.

Recently, in 2016, a mass shooting occurred in Orlando, Florida. A twenty-nine year old man named Omar Mateen used an assault rifle and a pistol at the Pulse Club at around 2 a.m. on Sunday. He killed 49 people and wounded around 53 people as well. It was a hate crime; he did not like homosexual people. His wife said he was mentally ill and their relationship had many problems such as he abused her, and eventually they divorced each other.

How are these supposedly normal people getting ahold of unauthorized guns/machine guns or letting mentally incapable people buy them? Is it maybe because the gun control system is broken? In order to keep illegal guns or just guns in general out of the wrong hands, we have to take better precautions when selling a gun to a customer. We need to create a well structured gun law. When selling a gun to a customer, the seller should have to make sure the customer has taken competency tests, and checked their background information.

According to NPR and ontheissues.org, since 2013, there have been 196 school shootings in the United States. The shooting in San Bernardino was the 355th mass shooting in the U.S. In 2015. Over 100,000 people are killed each year in the U.S.; seventy-two percent of the killings were used with guns. With a new gun law, all the numbers of mass shootings and murders can decrease.

Some people might disagree that the new system won't help, but getting tighter restrictions on guns can lower the number of murders, which is a big step to bettering our nation. It's honestly terrifying that at any moment at school or somewhere as simple as the grocery store you could be shot or murdered by that deadly weapon; it could have been prevented if the gun was in its right hands. Thank you taking the time to listen to me.

Most concerned,

Lexie