Annelie T. Nevada

Here's a Thought

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Welp. You made it. The United States has voted you as our new leader, regardless of whether or not you will actually be a good leader. 

I am Annelie K. Tobin, and I am a fourteen-year-old girl as of now. I identify as a pansexual, and yes, that does mean that I am likely to be attracted to other females. I am a theatre major at my school (Las Vegas Academy), and in my free time, I love to write stories online. I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), the second one not having been treated until one year ago. 

Let's face it; our country as a whole has some severe problems, and, on top of it, some are not being solved. There is hate crime against groups of people that don't fit into the ridiculous "mold", and those people tend to be Caucasian straight Christain males. Deny it all you'd like, but it's true. I am not straight, male, or Christain, and I don't intend on being any of those in my lifetime. The thing is, this needs to stop already, and I will hit the blunt as hard as I can; police have to stop being violent against people based on their race. Women should be judged on their intellect and not their looks. Religion, as a whole, should be accepted as promised long ago. Wasn't there a part in the Constitution that clearly said "freedom of religion"? And here we are, the "land of the free", calling all Muslims terrorists and shooting blacks without thinking. 

Another thing we have to think about is the whole debate on birth control. Hell, why are we even debating on it? I get it; there are a lot of people out there who want to have a ton of kids, but I don't. Women are not just here to breed millions of children, and frankly, I doubt that I would want to deal with that many. Planned Parenthood is something that should be supported (common sense, peeps) simply because it is something that allows us to choose whether or not we are ready for the next step. As for abortion, while I have neutral feelings towards it, I feel that people should have the ability to make that choice, rather than just have it completely eradicated. 

We should also focus on LGBTQ+ rights, something that I view as very important, seeing as I am a part of the LGBTQ+ community. Women should love other women; men should love other men. There truly isn't anything different between the love between a man and a woman and the love between a woman and a woman. Love is a beautiful thing, and the idea of it being limited by gender is something that should be looked down upon. I have fallen in and out of love with girls and boys, biting my lip and wondering whether or not I should confess my feelings. I write stories about homosexual characters, poetry following their thought process as they imagine their lovers and how they will tell them. Why should we stifle love? Why should we commit acts of violence against peaceful lovers? Is this what our "land of the free, home of the brave, yada yada yada" is? Because if you think so, then I cannot bring myself to respect you as a president. 

Thank you very much for reading this and I hope that you make the right decisions in leading our country. I hope that, when your first term is over and when I am eighteen years old, I will want you for another term. Good luck. 

Yours Truly,

(Anna)