Animal Testing California

Animal Testing

“We have moved away from studying human disease in humans. … We all drank the Kool-Aid on that one, me included. … The problem is that [animal testing] hasn’t worked, and it’s time we stopped dancing around the problem. … We need to refocus and adapt new methodologies for use in humans to understand disease biology in humans.” —Dr. Elias Zerhouni

Dear Newest President,

I believe that there are many important subjects in this world that should be in the view of the public. But what about those who cannot speak for themselves, those who suffer in silence, for what? So we can have a new product that most likely will not even work on human skin, Animal Testing.

There are many different different tests that are experimented on the animals. The ones that have no choice, no voice. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires by law that pesticides are tested on dogs. They are put in a plastic container that they struggle to get out of. While they die with deadly toxins in their system. They struggle to get out while the scientists watch and take notes. This is just one example of the cruelty that happens in the closed animal testing facilities.

Some government authorized tests kill more than 2000 animals every time they start a new investigation. Not a single one of these tests have proven to help the study in any way towards humans. A very big percentage of 92% proven by the study done by “PEOPLE FOR THE ETHICAL TREATMENT OF ANIMALS” or “PETA organization” animal tests that are safe and effective on animals fail on human clinical trials.

Additionally the US government does not require pain killers for the animals even when they undergo painful invasive procedures such as skull surgeries, burn experiments and spinal surgeries. Only about 20% of the times that animals endure severe pain do they receive pain relief posterior to the operation.

Overall animal testing is a vital issue, not only to the animals, but to our society also. As seen by many studies animal testing is extremely cruel and also ineffective most of the time. There are many different alternatives to stop or even minimize animal testing by using the newly invented Vitro method and Silico models which both take less time and money to perform.

Eveliina 

Peterson Middle School

8th Grade ELA

Middle School students from 8th Grade English