Camryn B. California

Transgender Lives Matter

Transgender people are treated like their lives don't matter. Lets fix it.

Did you know that 75% of the transgender youth population don't feel safe at school? Or that 1.6-2.8 million homeless young people in the U.S are from the LGBTQ community? Or 41% of the transgender or non-gender population has attempted suicide? Why is this? Does it have to do with bullies, grades, peers, teachers, parents or bathrooms. Well that's what we're here to find out. So where to began.

55% of transgender have reported been sexually harassed at school. As well as 59% were denied having access to the bathrooms that identify as their gender. How well they will change for P.E, or go to the bathroom? If the parents don't support their child they can tell the school to call them the gender they were born as. My friend is transgender and he was denied the bathroom he identifies with him just because his Mom doesn't support him.

Did you know that 50% of mothers and 44% of fathers react in a negative way to finding out that there child is transgender? It also doesn't help that schools, religious institutions and community are so against them. But yet involvement in LGBTQ community and peer network can help their own identity development.

What can we do about this matter? I know, we can be more supportive and not treat them like they don't exist. We can educate others through school/work environments, help with the process to get hormones. If you didn't know you have to go to a therapist to say you are transgender then you have to wait who knows how long on a waiting list, and then you have the cost. So let's help them with the payment for the hormones and surgeries and let's not treat them like there thoughts don't matter.

Camryn Bratton

MCAA

MCAA B2

English 9 Block 2 students share their concerns with the next President of the United States