Junha K. Texas

War in Afghanistan

Why the war in Afghanistan isn't necessary.

Dear future President of the United States,

Imagine a world where there was not much debt to pay off, it would be very convenient because nobody owes money to another person. Imagine a nation where there weren't many casualties, there would be no mourning. Imagine a place with no tension with other countries and people, having peace and excellent relationships. Your choices should provide smarter management with our money, national relationships, and lives; also, you should advise better plans that are well thought.

Following the war, there was a massive war debt. The war debt was made up of borrowed money to other countries also, the aftermath of injuries was devastating, there were people the government had to put money into to rehabilitate people mentally, help fix the injured, and paying for physical recovery. The US government gave money to Afghanistan to reconstruct and fix their economy, government, training their military, and security/patrollers . This all goes to waste because some of the Afghanistan people end up hating the soldiers for killing their fellow people. According to (4 trillion War debt), “The U.S. wars in Afghanistan and Iraq will cost taxpayers $4 trillion to $6 trillion, taking into account the medical care of wounded veterans and expensive repairs to a force depleted by more than a decade of fighting...Spending borrowed money to pay for the wars has also made them more expensive... The conflicts have added $2 trillion to America’s debt, representing roughly 20 percent of the debt incurred between 2001 and 2012.” ...“ ...Between 2001 and 2009, just over $38 billion in humanitarian and reconstruction assistance to Afghanistan was appropriated by the U.S. Congress. More than half the money went to training and equipping Afghan security forces” (Afghanistan War).There is still more debts building up due to the troops that are still in Afghanistan. If we want our country to succeed and not burn to ashes, we need to stop building up debts by avoiding fighting wars or problems, any other way, and by bringing our troops back home.

Second, fighting the war in afghanistan has caused tension. The drones from America are the most common reasons why innocent civilians are being killed. This has angered the Afghanistan president and other citizens. This has caused them to join and help the Taliban. All of the hard work would be put out. ”An airstrike... killed at least 15 civilians and injured another 13, including a child. The UN said the strike was carried out by an international drone, which only the US operates.”(US Drone Strike) Not only does it build tension with the countries, the president is refusing to work with America to fight the Taliban. This obliterates the point of the money and lives lost.

Third, there are many casualties involving the war on both sides. Most of the military deaths are from the US, the rest are from the Taliban and the other countries that were fighting. The american soldiers were killed by suicide bombers, gun fights, bombings, and assassinations. On the other hand, the civilians have been dying through crossfire, suicide bombings, and airstrikes as well. The citizens usually don’t have easy access to a hospital or doctor, so if somebody is injured, they are most likely to die.”As of October 18th, 2016, there have been 2,386 U.S. military deaths in the War in Afghanistan. 1,834 of these deaths have been the result of hostile action. 20,049 American servicemembers have also been wounded in action during the war”(US Military Casualties). If many other countries as well as ours didn't participate in this war, we could’ve reduced the number of casualties on both sides.

In short, I believe that we should stop the war in Afghanistan in order lower the debts, lives and nation relationships. This would keep US more likely to be more successful, joyful, and prosperous knowing that unneeded actions are being done and something was done for nothing. If all of these things are fixed, I think that America can go back to be a thriving nation again.

Work Cited

"United States Military Casualties in the War in Afghanistan." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 3 Nov. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

@RT_com. "UN Condemns Killing of at Least 15 Civilians in US Drone Strike in Afghanistan." RT International. N.p., 30 Sept. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Eland, Ivan. "Worst Effect of U.S. Afghan War." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 6 Sept. 2014. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Londoño, Ernesto. "Study: Iraq, Afghan War Costs to Top $4 Trillion." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 28 Mar. 2013. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.