Gianna D New Jersey

LGBT Rights

Even though the LGBT community has rights, but they're not being respected

Imagine you’re about to go in for a job interview, and you’re turned away because you’re different. Or you decide to marry your boyfriend or girlfriend, and you’re not allowed. People go through this daily, these people are members of the LGBT community.

The LGBT+ community are being turned away from jobs and marriages legally. The law was passed that same-sex marriage was legalized there are bills that allowed people to refuse same-sex marriage licenses in Madison county, Alabama. which should be against the law right? No just because gay marriage is allowed doesn't matter apparently. There are also multiple bills that allow business owners to the right to refuse to serve or employ Trans and Homosexual people all around the country.

The bills and laws being passed that are against the LGBT+ community are ruining lives of these people. As of early 2016 the bills and laws being introduced have skyrocketed compared to 2015 and previous. A big example of this is the bathroom bill debate, based on whether or not trans people should be able to choose their own bathrooms. As well as directly before the Orlando shooting 200+ anti-LGBT bills were passed. These bills are allowing trans and homosexual people to be treated as unequal as I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

People are going out of their way to take away these people's rights or harm them. The majority of hate crimes in the US are against the LGBT community compared to any other minority. Even though the black lives matter movement is important more people should be fighting for the rights of this community too. And to further prove this point, trans woman of color are the most likely to be discriminated. A very recent hate crime against the community was against Michael Phillips and his husband, they were attacked outside a gay bar. They have been the subject of hate crimes since they got publicity married. And a gay couple were sent death threats for supporting trump, the people threatening them saying they "don't want the gays to taint the debate", even thought they are supporting the same person as the person threatening 

Many people sadly will argue that the LGBT+ community have all the rights they will need. Yes they have the rights but people are not accepting them therefore trying to take them away. You say you're treating them equally but you won't even let them help by donating blood to help. And that they are discriminated when buying or renting a house in over 4 states just because who they love or who they identify as. Trans people can't serve in the army, or be boy scout leaders. Whether or not they think they actually are, as well as targeting them specifically regarding crimes. And many of these crimes go unreported, and the ones reported are frequently not counted as hate crimes by the police. They go unreported because the victims are afraid of coming out to their friends and family, Which should never be the case but it's sadly true.

So weather or not you think the LGBT community is being discriminated they are. What would you do, would you support peace and equality for everyone. Many groups could use the support from the president.

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.