Christian s. Alabama

Homosexuality

Equal Rights for LBGTQ

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

I strongly support gay marriage. Yet, I also strongly support people's right to religious freedom. Given that many in the media have characterized, religious freedom as being “anti-gay,” causing state legislators to amend some of its protections for gays.  My views might seem like a contradiction but it is not. Therefore, it’s important for me to clarify; to follow what Christians and other religious laws say, is important but how it fits in with a vision of a tolerant and pluralistic society can be complicated. In the meantime, people are still getting hurt in the streets by people who don't understand what equal rights means.  It's like racist people who don't like a person because of how he or she was born.  Things are especially bad for a young black male or female that is a member of the LBGTQ community.  This is an issue I think you should take time to improve. 

I will leave you with a personal story.  My cousin was harassed in public at the mall because he wore a LBGTQ hoodie. I stepped in to help my family member.  It shouldn't have come to violence.  This issue is so bad that a person can't just enjoy a day out without being bullied because of the rights of someone else.  What about my cousin's rights?  This is supposed to be the LAND OF THE FREE and THE HOME OF THE BRAVE-but America is not home sweet home...anymore.