Tanner W. Georgia

Gun Violence

In recent years there has been much chatter about revoking firearms from citizens due to gun violence, however there is a much simpler solution.

Last year, a group of gun activist in Texas did a test in their state to see how many citizens owned a firearm. The asked the citizens if they owned any type of firearm that they keep in their household for self protection. Shockingly 83% of the citizen owned a firearm that they kept for self protection. Most of them said that they can sleep better at night knowing that they are protected. The small percentage of people that did not own a said that they never thought of owning one but that it sounded like a good idea in case of an emergency. As you can tell firearms don't just kill people they also protect them.

Firearms aren't just weapons. They are also used for people to make a living. Some people hunt for their food and they also use those animals to make money by selling them to local markets. For example, the people that live in Alaska and some in the northern mountains rely on firearms to get their food for the winter and also rely on them to make their money. Some people also make their living producing firearms. Even if their is a great amount of gun violence at the time, firearms are still a vital part on the way we live and our economy.

My solution to the problem of gun violence is to have a biannual background check on the gun owners because then if they commit a crime after they purchase a firearm then at the background check the firearm can be revoked from the citizen. I think that this would be a considerable solution unlike taking them away altogether. So I hope you understand that firearms are more than just gun violence. They change the way of life for us.