>>>| O O |<<< New Jersey

Alcohol Prohibition should be in place.

Alcohol is an effect of danger, disorder, and drunk driving. So why not give it some restriction?

Two years ago, our nation and NIAAA.com  (National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism) reported that 40% of 15 year olds had at least 1 drink in their lives. 8.7 million kids ages 12-20 reported drinking alcohol in the past month. This will have a great impact on children around the country, and I believe that the president should limit alcohol use anyway you can, because when children are drinking illegally something needs to be changed.

Alcohol is dangerous. According to Rethinking Drinking.com Alcohol is a factor in about 60% of fatal burn injuries, drownings, and homicides, 50% of severe trauma injuries and sexual assaults, and 40% of fatal motor vehicle crashes, suicides, and fatal falls, So it is a factor in every possible way to die. Also NIAAA.com explains that, It increases your risk of developing certain cancers (including Mouth, Esophagus, Throat, Liver, and Breast Cancer), And WEBMD.com adds, Alcohol increases the rate of brain shrinkage at a rate of 1.9% per decade, resulting in memory loss or other parts of dementia. Disease and Disorder is a big factor in alcohol use, Maybe less money would need to be used for health care if we make more restrictions, the president could use that leftover money to pay off debt or help build the infrastructure of our nation.

Alcohol in households increases the risk of children having alcohol disorders in the future. The same result could be seen when role models drink or offer alcohol to a child. NIAAA.com confirms that, More than 10% of US children live with a parent with alcohol problems. When parents offered children alcohol, the children are more likely to initiate usage, than in other circumstances. If you allow children to drink, then they might think it is okay. Also children have been shown to be more careful or have a better chance to not drink, when the parents don’t offer or have alcohol in high standard. Most people will not think of alcohol as much if it is restricted, resulting in a better future for our nation.

Drinking causes drivers to result in a higher percentage of crashes, creating dangerous streets for adults and children alike. MADD.com proves, Adults drank too much and drove 121 million times per year resulting in 300,000 crashes per day! 27 people die as a result every day in the US. Resulting in 9,855 deaths per year. This amount of crashes will kill 1/30 (3.3…%) of the population every century. Too many!

Some people say that the chances that children are going to go to college and not drink alcohol is infinitesimal, so why not teach them to drink instead of letting them sneak off and learn it themselves. in my opinion giving children alcohol is the worst solution to fixing this problem. My older brother is 21 turning 22 in November, so he can legally drink. Still he decides not to drink, and does not like drinking at all! The reasons that he doesn’t might be because my parents don’t drink and never offered him a drink. So if my parents gave him sips of alcohol when he was young, they would indoctrinate him into a life of alcohol ruining the chance that he might not.

People sometimes say that banning alcohol didn’t work in the 1920’s. Well the 1920’s had many changes that didn’t work. It would be hard as a person to enforce just one of these changes when you have many going at once. Now in the 2010’s we are more refining these changes, so we can add or make more changes that can be more central then they ever could have been in the 1920’s

It doesn’t matter how alcohol is limited as long as less people drink and drive, less parents offer kids alcohol, and less kids are endangered. Even if we only stop 1 of these cases, it’ll be worth it.

A kid with an idea.

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.