Jesus Washington

The Land of Opportunity

The change for immigrants starts NOW! I believe that the main reason that immigrants come to the United States is to start a new life for themselves and for their family, where they won’t deal with sacrifices and consequences that they don’t deserve.

First all, Congratulations! Second of all, thank you for the opportunity to read on an issue that probably gets overlooked by most people. Put to it differently, immigrants around the world just want to come to the United States of America for a change. They want to escape the challenges from their homeland such as drugs, violence, death, gangs and much more that for them, it’s personal and emotional for them to encounter. I believe that the main reason that immigrants come to the United States is to start a new life for themselves and for their family, where they won’t deal with sacrifices and consequences that they don’t deserve.

Immigrants want a new beginning for themselves, where they want to escape from their once peaceful homeland from all of the challenges that can’t be solved, and the choices that made their lives an impact to the point where they’ve succeeded. A way that immigrants can change their lives is starting on a career that they want to have such as a teacher instead of a career that given to them such as field cropping. “According to the Census Bureau, despite making up only 16 percent of the resident population holding a bachelor’s degree or higher, immigrants represent 33 percent of engineers, 27 percent of mathematicians, statisticians, and computer scientist, and 24 percent of physical scientists. Additionally, according to the Partnership for a New American Economy, in 2011, foreign-born inventors were credited with contributing to more than 75 percent of patents issued to the top 10 patent-producing universities,” (www.whitehouse.gov) . To put it differently, if an immigrant has a dream to be a robotics teacher, or whatever subject that they want to teach or learn about, then coming to the United States could be their answer because here, we have the essentials for them to learn about. In the other hand, having them to study what they want in their homeland, then it would be difficult for them due to resources such as other teachers, materials to use for to study and learn about and having time to actually follow their dreams instead of being a witness or witnessing the anarchy in their homeland. Immigrants should follow on their dreams like if they're in a maze filled with overcoming obstacles and finding the right road to achieve their goals.

To sum up, the new beginning for immigrants should start now instead of later in their future. Immigrants must follow to their path of their career that they want in their future. They want to seize the opportunity that when the moment of realizing what career they want is plain and simple for them when taking the time and plan ahead to what they want to do with their lives as the years go on from time to time. Even if their goals don’t come the way they wanted, they will remember that they relied on themselves instead of others controlling their career for them. 

Jesus A.

Foster High School, Tukwila WA 

Foster High School

Gamboa 4th Period Civics

4th period Civics and Current Events taught by Ms. Gamboa.