Alexandra California

College Tuition

The increase in college tuition is a common concern for most families and students

I would like to first start off by briefly introducing myself. I am currently a student attending her third year in high school. As the end of high school approaches, college is a common thought and how one is going to get there or afford it has become highly important. The requirements to get into our dream school is very crucial and doing far better than the required is essential. For this same reason, I would like to address a common concern, whom I can not only speak for myself, but as well as for most families and students, both in and out of high school, whom are the minority compared to others.

College tuition has become increasingly high, skyrocketing almost, through the course of the years. For example, “According to The College Board, the average 2014-2015 tuition increase was 3.7 percent at private colleges, and 2.9 percent at public universities.” Education is a necessity for one to become successful, and this very concept of tuition increase, is seemingly becoming a barrier for families who are not financially stable, low income families. The constant struggle of trying to not face student debt or loans is difficult, since how else can one find an answer to their barriers when there seems to be no other option.

Not only do young adults get highly affected, but parents contribute to the amount of endeavor they face to make it possible for their child to attend college. High college tuition means excessive work hours and stressful days. As for us, as students, there is much competition between one another to try to reach success. We are put in a position to achieve greatness to repay in the slightest way possible, the effort our parents have put to get us where we are. Therefore, we have a constant mindset of “are we good enough?” because all of us want to prosper in life. Although, we would find is easier not only on us, but on our parents as well, to acknowledge this concern. Not everyone is financially stable, so high tuition is creating a barrier to minority families. Thank you for taking the time to hear my concerns.

Alexandra E.