Juan G. Florida

Police Brutality

Basically, police brutality is a common thing that is being protested. Officers get away with murder, and its not ok. Citizens, especially Blacks and Native Americans, don't feel safe.

The President

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. /Mrs. President:

My name is Juan Gonzalez, I am currently a 12th grade student from Alonzo and Tracy Mourning High School in North Miami Beach, Florida and I would like to talk to you about the problem our country has with police brutality. 

There is a major problem with police brutality. "The Counted" is an ongoing interactive research project by The Guardian which tracks the number of people killed by police in the U.S. The project records other demographics surrounding the events as well, such as race, state, age and gender. There is also a personalized account for each of the victim, like Freddie Gray. According to Mapping Police Violence, black people are three times more likely to be killed by police than whites. 

I, a citizen of these United States, don't even feel safe. I feel as if I were killed by the police, they would get payed leave. The Washington Post and Bowling Green University published a vividly thorough informative study about police officers who have killed people in the United States since 2005. The study found that among the thousands who have killed at the hands of cops since that year, only 54 officers have been charged. The Post reported that most officers were cleared or acquitted in the resolved cases.

So here is the thing Mr./Mrs. President, it needs to stop. Police brutality is happening too often around the United State. People aren't given justice and liberty. I don't want to be one of those numbers. I don't want to be one of those victims of police brutality. I believe that the cops have too much power, and should not shoot to kill. 

Thank you for considering this matter.

Juan Gonzalez

Mourning Senior High School

Hoover Period #2

Honors Gov. Letters to the next president