olivia w. Michigan

High Epi-pen Prices

The price of epi-pens has gone up at an outrageous rate and something needs to be done to stop it.

The Epipen Auto-injector has saved millions of lives just in America alone. The life saving device, invented in the 1970’s seemed like a blessing but I fear that it has turned into a curse. As I'm sure you are aware, the price of the most available brand of epipen has skyrocketed to unbelievable amounts that, for some families make it near impossible to obtain. Maylan has created a monopoly on their products and I hope that you can stand up for the people and lower the price of Mylan's epipens substantially. 

I am fifteen years old and I live in Michigan. As a youth who also lives with various allergies such as peanuts, tree nuts and penicillin, I know first hand how costly they can be for my parents. It makes me feel truly awful having to make my parents pay such an outrageous amount just to keep me alive. I have to keep an epipen with wherever I go because for me, it is a life saving device. Because the medication within the epipen expires after a year, we and other families alike are forced to pay large amounts over and over again. Knowing that the money we could be using to go on vacation is going to pay for an epipen instead makes me feel as though I am holding back my family. Like it’s my fault.

The price of the epipen has reached a record high average of $600. That's a 600% increase since 2009 when it was $100. Since Malyan has received negative feedback from the cost increase in 2016, they have offered a coupon for up to 50% off. However, this still leaves a minimum of $300. On Top of all of this, some insurance does not provide coverage for an epipen.

The price of epipens has risen to unaffordable amounts which is unreasonable because so many rely on it to survive. We are relying on you as the president of the United states to stop this monopoly from continuing to develop. Epipens are life saving devices that should be covered by all insurance and should be much cheaper for the public. I hope you rise to this calling.

Olivia W. 

Avondale High School

Avondale High School

Honors English 10