Lara Michigan

Let refugees into America

As a fellow Middle Eastern I can’t bare to see my parents home be torn away piece by piece and I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a place where it's dangerously unsafe, as a kind act of humanity we should allow refugees into our home no matter the consequences.

My name is Lara and I’m a 15 year old from Michigan who grew up with two loving parents from the Middle East. Growing up to them telling me stories about how great their country(Iraq) used to be to now watching my mom look on the news about how her church, the one she grew up in just burned down is not a settling sight and neither is looking at my dad balling his eyes out because his fellow people are stuck in this hell hole as refugees and nobody is doing anything about it. Something needs to change and we need to do something now.

Mercy corps article about the refugee crisis states that Syria's civil war is the “worst humanitarian crisis of our time” and “more than 11 million people have been killed or forced to flee their homes”. These refugees are suffering and living in a death zone, all these refugees in Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Egypt and Iraq are going through something that no one should deserve to go through, these people are living without freedom, proper food and health care and that's not okay. Also the desert like weather does not play a helpful role in this disaster.

Most people would say that they are scared to let in refugees because of terrorist and it is not a bad thing to be scared and look out for our country but we have to remember that we are a country that looks after other countries. The amount of refugees being killed is greater than the amount of terrorist attacks.If you look at the France attack, at least 84 people died but in Iraqi cities have been washes out and three times the amount of people have been killed. Americans were spreading their love for Paris saying “Pray for Paris” when they should be saying pray for Iraq and Syria (Middle East).

Overall we need to let refugees into our country because we are a country that is loving that cares and provides  we must be helpful to these suffering refugees whose lives have been torn away. As next president you need to please open your eyes and let these suffering and people into our loving country no matter the (slim) possible consequences.

Lara 

Avondale High School

Avondale High School

Honors English 10