jada s. Pennsylvania

My thoughts on educational funding for schools

My name is Jada Sorath and I live in Philadelphia. I have been switching schools since I was in middle school trying to find a school that is beneficial for me. As much as I think education is very important for me, I strongly feel like it is important for everyone else also. To begin with, One major problem with education is the lack of financial funding. Some schools in the US have a low budget on giving the students the future that they want, As in providing the supplies or have more teachers.

For instance, When I was in a public middle school, we used the same ripped textbooks for years, We didn’t have enough money to have field day, gym or any other deserving fun activity. Until now, They’re still problems with it. I had also realized how short my classes would be. Teachers would have days off and some were quitting or forcing to get out the job because they couldn’t pay enough for teachers.

This is why you should provide a much higher and sophisticated education environment for the students you truly care about. In the past two years, the district has kept with the state’s 2 percent budget cap. Leading to cut programs such as eliminating full-day kindergarten. Chicago and Philadelphia continue to top the list of the nation’s most fiscally disadvantaged districts, With flat funding, and Philadelphia has more than twice the average poverty rate. The budget per student ranges from about $10,000 to $28,000 across the state, the plaintiffs said, according to the AP.

This means that students who need the most resources get the least. The reason why some schools can`t maintain resources like technology or anything else is because the school funding system is so ineffective. Mostly, The US government pays only 7% of school money, and the rest goes to the state, and taxpayers. Whatever money the state doesn't pay, it pays for school tax, Part of your property taxes which are higher or lower depending on how much your home is worth. But this means that schools in poor neighborhoods get little money while wealthy schools, get nearly all they need.

Imagine if you were struggling financially and you have a small house, with 2 of your kids and your husband/wife but your children do not have opportunities in education. kids who tend to live in poverty tend to be more advanced in education. According to the 2011 U.S. Census Bureau, it is a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children under 18) that earns less than $23,021. This means that they should earn a much more higher income. More than 30 million children are growing up in poverty. In one low-income community, there was only one book for every 300 children. This is something you should improve, and can improve.

This is really important to me because I feel like everyone should have an equal education no matter where you are, and it should not struggle financially. Everyone should care about this issue because education is the key to succeeding in your future goals. This doesn't just affect students, but teachers as well who really care about their students. If I would be able to give you a solution, I would suggest targeting extra funds to help low-income children, Reduce reliance on local property taxes to fund education, And improve state education funding in terms of increased spending on public education.

Look to the Future

Sincerely, Jada Sorath