Stephan G. Oregon

Issues on gun laws

.

Dear President of the United States,

I wish to write to you about a current issue in our country. The issue in our country that I believe is important other than the war on terrorism is that of the fight over gun rights. When gun laws were created, they were meant to stop the amount of violence or murders with the use of firearms, but it only made the problem worse. When my generation was but wee children, we didn’t worry about what happened in the outside world because we were the center of attention. But as we got older and our eyes began to open, we became overwhelmed. This is caused by the leaders of both the free and controlled nations.

Some may begin to ask what does any of this have to do with the fight over gun rights? Simply put, the violence is never the gun’s fault. Our leaders are the ones who decide whether or not to aid or destroy a country, even our own. It seems as though certain people fear guns. Those are the same ones who wish to ban them. But what happens if you ban guns, and it doesn’t go according to plan? Those against the ban will fight tooth and nail to keep their rights, and those who wish to ban guns will seek protection from the government. To those who are against guns, I say read the second amendment. It states, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

What part of “shall not” is not understood? If guns were banned, then what would our military use? And the criminals can still find ways of getting firearms while the law abiding citizens use what? We, as a country, need to look at where we came from. Great Britain, which has banned guns, has a higher rate of burglaries while the homeowner is still at home. “By Making the Report, the Citizen Might Perceive That He Would Take Some Risk of. "Lawyers, Guns, and Burglars." Lawyers Guns and Burglars. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2016.”

But there is a point to be added to that. Background checks, if done properly, are somewhat effective. But what does the gun that is being sold have to do with a background check? The answer is nothing. It was created to keep track of what was being sold to whom. It really doesn’t help either, because if you are a Veteran of the military you can be denied a firearm due to that. When is that right to do to anyone?

If you really want to stop the increase in deaths, ban cars not guns. Roughly 38,300 people were killed on U.S. roads in 2015. And there were about 4.4 million people who sustained injuries due to vehicular “accidents.” Ziv, Stav. "2015 Was the Deadliest Driving Year in the U.S. since 2008." Newsweek. N.p., 2016. Web. 11 Oct. 2016. While the number of gun murders was only about 5,276 in the U.S. in 2016. (@danieljevon. "Causes of Death in the United States." Snopes. Snopes, 2016. Web. 11 Oct. 2016.)

For us as Americans, peace will remain domestically, but foreign threats still remain. If firearms are taken away, what do we use against foreign threats? Knives? Bows? Against a well-armed force, these are pointless.

If you remove the background checks on guns and revise it by removing from the check what firearm is being sold, then the amount of people that should never own a gun will be limited. But the point is, let the people as a whole decide not just a few who have power or go with just what you want. And when all's said and done, those of this generation and those before can requiesce in pace. Latin for rest in peace. Valeo.

Stephan