K.F Louisiana

Gun Control in America

Gun Control in America and why there is nothing being done about it

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: ”A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” This Amendment has been taken too far lately. For example, because not much is being done to limit the purchase of firearms, firearm deaths are at an all-time high.

Americans today tend to believe that more guns means less frequent shootings. However, this is not true. According to the article, America's Gun Problem, Explained, ”Multiple simulations have also demonstrated that most people, if placed in an active shooter situation while armed, will not be able to stop the situation, and may in fact do little more than get themselves killed in the process. Furthermore, millions of people around the U.S alone already have a firearm.”Basically, even if a large amount of the U.S. population have firearms to defend themselves, without the necessary training to properly use a firearm, this only causes the people to hurt themselves instead of defending themselves

About 32% of Americans own or live with someone who owns a firearm. According to the article, Guns in America, ”the number of guns in private hands is thought to have grown to as high as 310 million.” Nevertheless, with 32% of the American population owning a firearm, you'd expect there to be restrictive gun measures but this is not the case, for there are strong political figures going against gun control bills.

The National Rifle Association, or NRA, is undoubtedly the strongest oppositional force going against the creation of gun control policies.The NRA makes tremendous efforts to put political figures in office to look out for them. According to the article America’s Gun Problem, Explained, “ It fears that popular and seemingly common-sense regulations, such as banning assault-style weapons or even a federal database of gun purchases, are not really about saving lives but are in fact a potential first step toward ending all private gun ownership in America, which the NRA views — wrongly, in the minds of some legal experts — as a violation of the Second Amendment of the US Constitution.” In short, to the NRA, any policies against guns are taken as a direct assault on the people’s constitutional right to own a firearm.

In conclusion, the next president should work towards enacting stricter gun control policies. Many people in America own a gun, and people are dying each day because there aren't any policies regarding gun restrictions.

From, K.F