anjali reddy California

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

This letter to the future president addresses his/her responsibility on fighting the War on Terrorism

Dear future President,

I know that your journey to the White House has been anything but smooth. This year, in fact, has been anything but smooth. With the year we’ve been having, it is no surprise that the whole world is waiting with bated breath on how the future is going to turn out, and what you are going to do with your new power in office.

My name is Anjali Reddy, and I am a 17-year old girl living in a small town outside of Los Angeles. I have followed the 2016 election from start to finish, and I too, along with the rest of the world population, are waiting to see what you can do sitting in the president’s chair. You do have some pretty big shoes to fill.

As President, you have hundreds of pressing responsibilities that you need to address. During the election, all the candidates promised solving a myriad of issues be it healthcare, education reform, or economics, but as the next President, beg of you that your first concern and goal be fighting terrorism and its affect on the world.

Recently, the world has suffered so much loss and pain because of ISIS. The world is no longer safe, and places such as Turkey, Paris, Malaysia, Pakistan and so many more are devastated. Terrorism is a serious issue, and it is only getting worse.

Not only are heinous crimes being committed far away, but here, at home, in America as well. Last year, the San Bernardino shootings occurred only a quick car drive away, it was then I realized that bad things do not just happen far away where we only see things on the news. They can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone. How can America still be arguing over gun control, background checks, and heightened security in light of so many tragedies?

America has the power to fight back against the monsters who have been terrorizing the world, and we need to start now. As future president, I hope you take action, and stop the heartache the world is suffering. I know it’s easier said than done, and that a 17-year old has much fewer responsibilities than the next President, but I want to grow up in a world that’s safe, nurturing, and inspiring. I want to change the world when I grow up, but it needs to be fixed now. Is that so much to ask?

So as next President, be bold, be brave, and fight back against those who have made us suffer long enough. With your support, belief, and actions, we can, and will prevail. Godspeed in your journey to end this war once and for all.

Anjali Reddy