Alaina H. Texas

Black Lives Matter

Not everyone knows the entire truth to Black Lives Matter.

Dear Future President of the United States,

Imagine a world where police officers are respected. A world where police officers protected us and did their job instead of worrying about being killed by blacks. A world in which everyone heard the entire story, not just part of it. This world would keep peace with the protectors of our country and the citizens. No one would feel oppressed, and no one would feel the need to turn against another in the hopes of stopping racism. We should come together to make peace instead of violating one another’s property or showing violence to each other. Your policies should inform all citizens that not all blacks are innocent and police are only acting out of self-defense, there is more crime against blacks than any other race, and cops kill more whites and hispanics than blacks each year.

Part of the whole story is that not all blacks that are shot are unarmed or are innocent. Most of the shootings that are considered to be unjust are actually cases in which blacks threaten an officer's life or are armed. “At least five black victims had reportedly tried to grab the officer’s gun, or had been beating the cop with his own equipment. Some were shot from an accidental discharge triggered by their own assault on the officer. And two individuals included in the Post’s “unarmed black victims” category were struck by stray bullets aimed at someone else in justified cop shootings.” (Bandler, 5 Statistics) This quote proves that not all of the shootings that news stations say to be the officer’s fault, are not the officer’s, but the black’s fault. Sometimes, bystanders have been shot in a police chase. If the person shot was not the intended target, there would be no racism or discrimination involved in the accidental shooting. Another point to prove that the shootings are not planned is that most police are acting out of self-defense because their life was threatened or the supposed victim was armed.

Another truth people don’t think to be seen is that blacks have the highest crime rates among any other race in the US. “According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, blacks were charged with 62 percent of all robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 largest U.S. counties in 2009, though they made up roughly 15 percent of the population there.” (Riddell) This means that not only are they committing more crimes than other races, but they are also being hypocritical. They should sort out all their own injustices before they blame police for all the deaths in their community. Also, blacks are committing more crimes than other races, yet they have a smaller population in the US than whites and hispanics. “There were almost 6,000 blacks killed by other blacks in 2015. By contrast, only 258 blacks were killed by police gunfire that year.” (Bandler, 7 Statistics) This means that they should not be blaming any whites for murder before they fix their own problem in their neighborhood.

When blacks say that police are discriminating against them and are killing mostly blacks they either are lying to make the situation sound worse and more severe on their part, or they themselves don’t know the entire story like the rest of society. The whole story includes police killing more whites and hispanics more than blacks. “According to the Post database, in 2015 officers killed 662 whites and Hispanics, and 258 blacks. (The overwhelming majority of all those police-shooting victims were attacking the officer, often with a gun.) Using the 2014 homicide numbers as an approximation of 2015’s, those 662 white and Hispanic victims of police shootings would make up 12% of all white and Hispanic homicide deaths.” (Mac Donald) By the statistics, it means that the whites and hispanics that police have killed is nearly two and half more people than blacks.

In conclusion, your policies should be able to get the full story on Black Lives Matter. This way everyone can develop their own opinion on the matter. If we don’t inform everyone on the movement, they will follow what everyone else is thinking and will let others tell us what to think. We need to make sure that nobody will believe the lies about racism and how blacks are oppressed in our society. We all need to come to terms with each other in a peaceful manner to make sure that we can understand one another. One day, I hope your policies can keep us at peace with the police and citizens because if black lives matter don't all lives matter?

Alaina Hart

Bandler, Aaron. "5 Statistics You Need To Know About Cops Killing Blacks." Daily Wire. N.p., 07 July 2016. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Bandler, Aaron. "7 Statistics You Need To Know About Black-On-Black Crime." Daily Wire. N.p., 13 July 2016. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Mac Donald, Heather. "The Myths of Black Lives Matter." WSJ. Wsj.com, 09 July 2016. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Riddell, Kelly. "The Lies of Black Lives Matter." Washington Times. The Washington Times, 2016. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.