Molly V. Illinois

Racial profiling must be stopped

Racial profiling is a terrible thing in the United States and it needs to be stopped.

September 21, 2016

Dear Presidential Candidates,

Racial profiling has been a problem in the U.S.A for many years and seems to be getting worse rather than better. People are being pulled over and being searched every day because they are “driving while black.” Police Officers find them more suspicious just because of the color of their skin or the way they look. Stanford researchers analyzed data from 4.5 million traffic stops in various cities in North Carolina, The results have showed that Police are more likely to search someone who is black or hispanic rather than someone that is white or Asian. Studies have also shown that even though it is more likely for blacks and asians to be searched even though it is less likely that they will find illegal drugs or weapons.

13% of people in the U.S. are black but 37% of drug related offenses are black people when only 14% of monthly drug users are Black people. This really isn't fair. Just because one person did something wrong, everyone who looks like them, is the same religion as them, or lives in the same general area is punished. Sure, Black people and hispanic people have done some terrible things, I won't deny that. What I will deny though is that White people or Asian people have not done terrible things. I truly believe that nobody should have racial profiling issues considering the fact that at least one person from every country has committed some sort of crime or been involved in something illegal and there are thousands of people who have done absolutely nothing wrong of each race.

Some ways this problem could be solved is if police officers or anyone else really work on not judging a book by its cover. Police should only check people's car if they feel there could be something illegal or unwanted in the car, not just because someone is black or hispanic. The thing I find worst about racial profiling is that if it were white people or asian people getting pulled over just because of how they look, So many more people would be concerned. I always thought equality was important in this country, now i'm starting to doubt that. I just hate how one person's actions can effect such a large group of people.

So should racial profiling be okay? No. it's a terrible thing that holds many people back from doing things they want to do and should be able to do. I request that our country try their very hardest to try and stop racial profiling.

Molly Vittetoe

Bernotas Middle School

Strebel's Kids

Block Two