Zane A. Colorado

Death Penalty

This letter focuses upon the issues of the death penalty in America and why it should be a legal transition to punish criminals who have committed violent crimes.

Dear Madame/Mr.President:

The death penalty for years now has been an issue in the United States that has all society divided between those who support it and those who want to abolish it. Currently there are thirty-three states who still use it legally, while the other seventeen have abolished it. There are many reasons to why I believe the death penalty should legal throughout the nation. The reasons I believe it should be legal is for the acts of deterrence, retribution, and morality. These acts are only a representation to why the death penalty should be an active force upon violent criminals who chose to commit violent crimes. It shows what should be done to the people who have the right to remain silent for their acts of triumph to the community and its people. I understand that it costs thousands of taxpayer dollars to execute a criminal, but also in some cases giving a criminal life without parole has become even more expensive. I believe that if someone has taken another person's life away, they should be punished with the measures of being put to death. However, others may argue that it is inhumane to execute someone because they feel they have no right to play “God”. But was it really humane for someone else to take others away from world because they wanted to? I believe not.

Back in the old days, if someone committed serious crimes such as murder, treason, and arson, they were immediately put to death. It didn’t matter how or why they did it, the circumstances, who ever decided the fate of that person, they were immediately executed. Nowadays we give a criminal life without parole, double life sentences or sometimes there's just lack of evidence to convict them. I ask you? Why are we as a country showing lack of concern for criminals who are continuing to break the law, terrorize the community, and commit violent crimes like murder, manslaughter, armed robbery, forcible rape, and assault with a deadly weapon, and we only give them as little of a sentence such as life, 25 to life, or even just a few months in prison. I understand that some crimes are carried out in different ways and are performed in different assortments, but that should be no excuse for why we don’t give these criminals what they deserve. I feel that if someone committed a crime, there should be time taken to find out more evidence, because I know there have been innocent people executed for a crime that they didn't commit.

Some may argue that there is not enough concrete evidence to use deterrence as an argument for the death penalty. The reason some evidence may be inconclusive is that the death penalty often takes a long time in order for it to be carried out; some prisoners sit on death row for months and even years before being executed. This can influence the productiveness of deterrence because punishments that are carried out hastily are better examples to others. Although the penalty is effective at precluding possible criminal suspects, but it would be even more effective if legal processes were transferred out more rapidly instead of having inmates on death row for years.

The death penalty also carries out retribution justly. When someone commits a violent crime it disturbs the order of commutative society; these crimes take away lives, peace, sympathy from victims families and liberties from society. Giving the death penalty is simply given punishment to restore orders to society and adequately punishes the criminal for their wrongdoing. Retribution also serves justice for murder victims and their families. Some may see this as revenge, where revenge is focused on the action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffering and retribution is focused on giving a punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act . The death penalty puts the scales of justice back in balance after they were unfairly tipped towards the criminal.

This country for years has dealt with the problem of racism. Crimes committed by white Americans are most of the time forgotten or they committed a violent crime they are given a lesser sentence. Crimes however committed by African Americans or Hispanics are often carried out as giving a much higher sentence, often brutally agitated, and are sometimes executed for being of a different ethnicity. For example. A white college swimmer by the name of Brock Turner committed the crime of rape towards a fellow peer while she was asleep. He was released from prison after 3 months when usually a crime such as rape or any sexual crime can be from 5-life. There was another case exactly the same as Turner expect this time it was committed by an African American named Cory Batey who was given the sentence of 15 years. Now what kind of given deal is that? Not to defend either of them for what they, but why should the white man have any leniency for the exact same crime as what a black man committed, Is the criminal justice system really this corrupted?

My proposed solution is this: If someone has committed violent crimes such as first degree murder, imposed manslaughter, forcible rape, or homicide. Criminals should be actively placed on death row. However if a criminal did not committed as violent as a crime such as second and third degree murder, unintended manslaughter, and assisted suicide. Criminals should be given a lesser sentence like 10 - life because they voluntarily knew what was happening or they could have also assisted in the crime being committed. Also racial background should not be a priority because you cannot agitate someone for their color because all races should equally suffer the same fate. I ask you as a fellow American, please consider the death penalty to people who had the choice to control what they were going to do but decided to chose wrong and commit themselves to disturb the peace of society by taking others lives away, hurting their families, and bringing upon a bad reputation to the community. Me as well as other Americans who agree to this ordeal, find it very unfair and very sickening to this country. Make the right choice and bring back the penalty to those who chose wrong for themselves and for their society

Zane A.

Wheat Ridge HS

Composition for the College Bound English

Twelfth graders in Colorado