Jada D. Minnesota

Rape Culture

Defendants should get the actual consequence they deserve.

Dear next President,

“[Ninety-seven percent of rapists don't even spend a single night in jail” (rape culture and sexual assault). Defendants who commit sexual assault or rape should get the actual consequence they deserve. This problem has gone way too far and everyday it gets worse by the second. 

Probation absolutely is not working to stop rape culture. Putting a sex offender on probation is like putting a child in a two minute timeout for writing on the wall. I think of probation as a warning not to doing it again, we need to give them the effect that happens when you commit rape. Putting offenders on straight probation doesn't teach them anything, it makes them think that it's okay to commit this crime. Trying to keep the offenders in one place outside of jail makes them not care, and leads them to do it even more.

Rape culture is affecting our world. Many parents worry about where their kids are or where they're going and what they're doing when they're not with them. Having this issue happen makes everyone scared. “The U.S. is ranked 13th in the world for rape“ (rape culture and sexual assault). “600 people are raped in the U.S. every two minutes” (rape culture and sexual assault). Everyone has a task for looking out for these people every day. 

In conclusion, rape and sexual assault is a serious problem in the world, that needs to change.  We need to own up to this issue and start fixing it. With your help as president, this problem can get better if we work at it and give more better and strict consequences. 

Jada Davis

St. Paul Central High School

Approaching Analysis Hours 4 and 5

10 Quest 4th and 5th hour students