Athena California

The Cost to Continue...

The majority of students face the trials of trying to pay for college. If so many students are having a hard time, why is there no one helping?

I know you may be busy doing other important things but I just wanted to take the time to write you. I am a 17 year old high school student. I should be focused on having fun, prom, and graduating but instead I am stressing about how to pay for college. My mom is a single mom with three children that still need to go through college so it is hard figuring out how we will afford that. College tuition is becoming way too high. A lot of students do not go to a university because they can not afford it. Isn’t that ironic? You are trying to go to school to get an education so you can have job and make money but you can’t because you do not have money.

Two-thirds of college students graduate with debt even after they got scholarships and grants. So many students work hard and are capable of furthering their education. 75% of students get accepted to their first choice but less than 57% can afford to go. The government needs to have balance for their funding. The government spends about twenty billion dollars a year for nuclear weapons. We have enough nuclear weapons, they can use that money to help lessen college cost or even allow more financial aid for people. If you take a portion of money from programs that we do not really need and put it in a program to lessen college cost it could help lower the tuition.

Many other countries have free college so why can’t we also do that, or at least make it less expensive. The majority of the population goes through the challenge of paying for college. So Mr. President we need your help, you have the power to make the changes. If you look into the budget and start adjusting to allow more money for college fees, it could help. The number of students that get a further education is getting smaller and smaller. In this day and age you need a college degree for almost everything and if you can not get that you will be lost. Basically, the poor will stay poor and the rich will get richer.

Athena