Blakely, Anna, & Annaliese Oklahoma

The Gender Pay Gap

Women are definitely discriminated against when it comes to jobs and their pay.

In the next four years as you become President we would like to suggest that you look into the issue of discrimination. We suggest this very important topic because we feel this is something that needs to change. We have narrowed our search to discrimination but in particular the discrimination that women face in our country on a daily basis. This is important because we believe that women should be treated with the same respect as men. Many websites show that women are definitely discriminated when it comes to jobs and their pay.

In 2015 there was a study that discovered that there is a 20 percent wage gap in between men and women. This number is completely absurd. Also in the study, it stated that in almost all professions men and women are paid differently. You could deal with this enormous problem in multiple different ways. One being, you could demand that the wages of men and women doing the same job are equivalent. This could solve the problem by altogether eliminating the difference in wages.

If you were to solve this problem it would be altogether fantastic. The problem of men and women not being paid the same has been facing our nation for multiple years. Many women would be very satisfied if this problem were to be abolished. According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, in middle skill occupations, workers in jobs mainly done by women earn only 66 percent of workers in jobs mainly done by men. This is a huge problem because single mothers could benefit from being paid the same as men.

We believe that women’s rights should be something that you deeply consider being the president of the United States. We hope this letter will inspire you to take charge of this problem.

Blakely A., Anna F., and Annaliese S.

Classen School of Advanced Studies

Classen SAS 8th Grade English

Students from Ms. Sutton's 8th grade English classes in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.