Jonah C. California

Yearly Life-Changing Transitions

The transition from high school to college and how it could influence your future in America.

Dear future President,

I believe the education system can be reformed in many ways, especially the transition from high school to college. In my opinion, the school system bases and judges people by their ability to perform in a certain amount of subjects and accumulates their performance grades and those simply decide their future in education. Schools should focus on an individual's talent in a certain subject and encourage the student to pursue what they excel in.

In today’s school system, many children today struggle with the workload and stress oppressed onto them. Stanford researchers have found that more than two hours of homework a night may be counter productive. Research also shows that students who spend this amount of time on homework experience more stress, physical health problems, and a lack of balance and even alienation from society. I have had countless nights where I have had to stay up late to finish my classwork for the following school day. With the lack of sleep it has left me in poor condition to perform in the next school day.

Therefore, I urge you to carefully examine the United States' school system and reflect on what you could change for the better. To make your job easier, you can emulate what other countries do at their schools where they succeed further than ours and enforce similar teachings in our nation . 

Jonah C.