Kate B. Illinois

Wage Gap in the Workforce

Future females in the workforce should not have to deal with the issues pertaining to the gender and cultural wage gap. You, future president, have the power to make changes and to solve this important problem.

In 2015, female full-time workers made only 78 cents for every dollar earned by men, a gender wage gap of 20 percent. Our new president needs to do something about it.

The wage gap is an indicator used as an index of the stats of women's earnings relative to men of an equal job. It’s also used to compare the earnings of other races and ethnicities to those of white males, a group generally not subject to race or sex related discrimination. The stats are unruly and unfair to women from all cultures and racial backgrounds. For every dollar a caucasian man made, women earned 78.3% as much aged 16 and over. Why is this?

What’s even more uneasy is the culture related gap. In 2014, black women in the U.S. earned 63% of what the average white men in the US earned. Latina women earned 54 percent. The National Women’s Law Center estimates that African-American women lose more than $877,000 over the course of the average career length due to the pay gap. Latina women lose more than $1,000,000, isn’t this crazy?. Woman of different ethnicities are also less likely to have the access to paid sick days, family leave, and more flexible work schedules.

The future females in the workforce should not have to deal with these issues in the upcoming years, and you, future president have the power to change the US for the better and to grant worthy women with the money they earned and deserved.

Kate B.

Gurrie Middle School

McGovern Period 3/4

Ms. McGovern's Period 3/4 ELA Class