Caprina Pennsylvania

Global Warming

If you care about Mother Earth, read this letter and watch this video.

There are many people in this world who use chisels to chip away at a problem and form it into a solution. I’m trying to make a greater impact with my hammer to form the world we live in today into a better place; a world without global warming. The truth is, global warming is humanity’s fault. Even though we try to deny it, the truth still lies where it is. It’s not going to move if we don’t accept the facts. We have to find solutions --that includes you, future President-- to solve this problem.

In the latest news, the Earth has already risen in temperatures. According to the NewsELA article, “In Paris, nearly 200 nations agree to fight global warming”, “In recent history, the world has already warmed by about 1.8 degrees.” This is because of carbon dioxide, a compound that comes from our gasoline cars and trains and traps the Earth’s heat. In normal conditions, carbon dioxide is good, for the trees of the planet would consume the compound and produce the oxygen that we breathe. However, we are manufacturing too much of this composite. The cycle that happens today goes as the following: Our cars produce carbon dioxide, the trees consume what they can, the excess traps the heat into the Earth and creates global warming.

The effects of global warming are crucial. Parasites could increase. Countless diseases could occur. Not to mention that many types of species of animals would go endangered. “Scientists believe that nearly one quarter of the world’s lizards could disappear completely by 2080,” states the NewsELA article, “Effects of global warming will be bad for the Earth, study shows” What you are wondering now future President is “What can I do?” I’m here to answer that question. There are many solutions to global warming. For instance, the “Paris Agreement” states that a lot of countries will try to limit the temperature to 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit. (“In Paris, nearly 200 nations agree to fight global warming”). Other examples include exchanging motored vehicles to electric vehicles, utilizing energy sources such as solar panels and wind turbines, and using a lot less paper. All of this could lead to a better Earth, a better home. However, to do this we will need you, future president.

Caprina L., Pennsylvania

Upper Perkiomen MS

ELA 8

Middle school students in a rural town from Pennsylvania share their thoughts about what matters most to them in the 2016 US Election.