ErinW Oklahoma

Racism in America

Racism is still alive today as seen in recent examples of police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement.

History has changed over time, but racism still has a way of coming back. Racism is still alive today. Many people including myself believe racism is not making any progress. We as a country need to reflect on what is going on in the world and change it.

The police are using their badges for the wrong things. According to huffingtonpost.com, U.S police have at least killed 194 black people this year. As we can see over time the police are lying their way out of these crimes and getting away with it. According to Ktla5.com, Keith Lamont Scott got killed for no reason, he had a book and got killed. The police planted a gun to make it seem like it was his, but really it was one of the police officers. We all have to make a change to fix this problem.

Black Lives Matter, black people should get respect just as much as white people. Black people should not be looked upon on as if we are not supposed to be here. African Americans get accused of things they didn’t do, when we should all be united. The government and including the people need to make a change.

Racism has to change, to make a difference in America. We can start by uniting together, and starting an act of kindness. Change is always possible. But the change has to start within ourselves.

Erin W.

Classen School of Advanced Studies

Classen SAS 8th Grade English

Students from Ms. Sutton's 8th grade English classes in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.