Quinn W. Connecticut

Healthcare and Gun Regulation

Our country is heading in the liberal wrong direction in these issues. We need to take a conservative approach and make a free market healthcare and make it easier to buy guns.

My name is Quinn Wagner. I go to Staples high school in Westport, Connecticut. There are many issues that need change in this country. In this letter I will highlight two issues that need changes. These issues are healthcare and gun regulation. I am choosing these issues because they our country is headed in the wrong direction with these issues and it needs to stop.

The first issue I would like to address is Healthcare. The Affordable Care Act also known as Obamacare is a complete disaster. Ms Clinton I know that you support Obamacare, that is a very poor choice. Mr Trump I know that you want to repeal and replace Obamacare, I agree with this direction. I do not care about people who do not want or cannot get health care. It is their money, so it should be their choice. By forcing these people to get health care, and not letting insurers deny people of healthcare, the healthcare premiums will go through the roof in 2017. According to ABC News, premiums sold through Healthcare.gov will increase by 22%. This is completely unacceptable. I think it is ironic that Obamacare is call the Affordable Care Act. This is because nothing about it is affordable, but that is not all. Obamacare has helped put our country into serious debt. According to CBO, Obamacare will put another trillion dollars to the US debt during the first decade that it took action. This worries me because at what point will the government not be able to pay back its debt. If that day comes, it will not be pretty, in fact it will be a complete economic disaster. So all in all, I think that switching to free market health care is the best option for the future. It will reduce premiums because of increased competition and no need for healthcare providers to insure everyone. Also it will reduce our debt because our government does not have to pay for people’s healthcare.

The second issue I would like to address is gun regulation. Ms Clinton I know you have mixed opinions and emotions about gun regulation. In the debates you have said that you support the second amendment. However, on your campaign website it seems like you are far from that. Mr Trump you have said time and time again that you are a big supporter of the second amendment. In fact you have the NRA’s endorsement. I am here to reinforce how important the second amendment is to this country. Guns are ingrained in this country’s history, culture and tradition. In fact we are the only country to have its guns outnumber its people. Many liberals will cry out that is a horrendous thing, and that guns should be taken away from the people's home. On the other hand, I believe that guns provide safety from criminals, which the research shows so. Politifact.com states that states that allow open carry have robbery occurrences decreased by 36%, violent crime decrease by 23%, aggravated assault rate was also lowered by 23%, and murder rate lowered by 5%. As you can see, guns intimidate criminals. Ask yourself, if you were a criminal would you rather mess with someone who owns a firearm or someone who does not. I do not need to tell you that the answer is an unarmed person. That is why it is no coincidence that our worst mass shootings Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, and at the Pulse nightclub are all areas where nobody had guns except the shooter. Guns need to made easily available to the public. Additionally, open and concealed carry should be a right of all citizens regardless of what state they are in, and finally there should be no more gun free zones. Obviously, criminals do not follow the gun free zone laws, so why are we only disarming the law abiding citizens.

In conclusion, we need to take a conservative approach towards healthcare and gun regulation. The next election is in 2020. I will be 19 during that year. If you want my and many others who think like me, vote for reelection it is imperative that you make the changes I have suggested in this letter.

Quinn Wagner

Staples High School

"HUSH"-ed NO MORE!

Mr. Heaphy's students speak out on the issues that will be important to them as new voters in the next election!